2.26.2011

The Sad Story of Cita Astals


The woeful yet intriguing story of Cita Astals was all over the news a few months back, but i can't seem to get over it. So many unanswered questions keep lingering on the back of my mind. I'm getting confused as to what extent should i draw the borderline of reality.

My vivid recollection of Cita Astals dates back to Home Along Da Riles,  a top-rated sitcom in the 90's where she played Dolphy's classy and good-natured boss. For a while Cita Astals became a familiar boobtube celebrity. She was a recognized character actress; she established an image of a smart and articulate woman. Her venture into politics was remarkable, having served three terms as Manila councilor until her loss to Isko Moreno in the vice-mayoralty race. Then rumors began to circulate that Cita Astals has been seen wandering in the streets and exhibiting odd behavior.

The following video compilation of Cita Astals features a clip of her dance number on Eezy Dancing and a  Wish Ko Lang episode which tackled her mental illness issues. As i watched the videos my faculties kept pacing back and forth, i felt like being challenged to how far i can hold on to my own sanity. I just can't fathom the fact that a beautiful and successful life be turned upside down in a snap of the finger. Indeed, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!
    

6 comments:

  1. She's a good woman and a great artist. I wish her well-being and pray for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i just saw her wandering here in proj 6 wicon depot... my co artist even had her and Cita's picture taken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what happened to her? :) I missed her on cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy to report she is doing well and working in a callcenter , she works with one of my former colleague

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have recovered and am doing just fine manufacturing brassieres. Thank you for your concern and well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has written a Philippine World History book entitled, Las Islas PHILIPINAS-- Calling the Generations from the Beginning. To be published soon ...

    ReplyDelete