1.24.2014

Metro Manila Earthquake: The Coming


 


The West Valley Fault is predicted to strike Metro Manila at any time. The fault line starts from Angat Bulacan; passes through the cities of Quezon, Marikina, Pasig, Makati, Pateros, Muntinlupa; and ends in Carmona Cavite. Once the fault moves, it will generate a 7.2 magnitude earthquake causing massive damage to property and loss of life. Experts estimate the destruction could reach up to 500,000 houses destroyed; 9 bridges and 400 buildings to collapse; and over 100,000 casualties. 
 
It is hard to imagine how this impending catastrophe can have far-reaching  environmental, social, and economic consequences. But my most pressing concern is about the safety of my loved ones.  I fear for my community, my friends, my family, my home--they are situated within the 5-kilometer danger zone of the fault line. I'm hoping against hope that the day of reckoning will come not really soon.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment